Tuesday, May 6, 2008

surgery day!

Hello! This is Sarah, JoAnne's daughter.  I am posting for my mom since she is unable to, due to her surgery today.

All went well--they left home round 5:30ish, and her surgery began at 8am.  I arrived at the hospital around 9, and several crossword puzzles later (and 45 minutes), the surgeon came out and told us her surgery went smoothly. She was moved to a step-down room, and a couple hours later we were allowed to see her.  Because of her previous heart palpitations during anesthesia, the anesthesiologist doubled her dosage.  Since he did that, she was extremely groggy from noon until around 2:30 when we left.  We came back around 5pm, and she was still extremely wiped out.  She really couldn't stay awake for more than 30 seconds.  We were required to leave at 6:00 so that the nurses could rotate shifts.  When we returned, my mom's sister, Donna, was in the waiting room waiting to be allowed in the area.  We were allowed to go in and see Mom, and she was sitting up and was a lot more awake.  She was able to hold a conversation without falling in and out of sleep.  There were five of us in the room with her, so I think that wore her out because she started seeming tired again when we were there a few minutes.  (I think it was my 10-year-old brother talking so much :] ) My Aunt Donna left, and soon after my dad and brother left.  Once they left, she seemed a lot less affected and more aware.  I left soon after, and the nurse was going to take her for a walk soon.  When I got home, I received a text saying that they walked two laps around the floor.  She said it felt good getting up, which is definitely a good thing.  I will post more tomorrow after I see her and such.  Keep her in your prayers!!



mikelite said...

thanks for the heads up Sarah. I'm seriously impressed you did so many crossword puzzles in 45 minutes! Send your mom our best, but tell her I turned her office into a basketball court.

Jackie K in MO said...

Hi Joanne,
I hope that you are doing well. I have been following your journey through OH and BE. I am just starting mine, but will also have my WLS at De Paul.

Today I will travel the 2 hours to St. Louis and have my psch eval with Dr. Becker and then will go over to De Paul for the seminar tonight. I am insured through Medicare so I know I will have a 3-4 month wait before my name will come up on the list after my doctor consult.

Well just wanted you to know that someone is thinking of you and that you will continue to be in my prayers.

Jackie K in MO
aka MeAGNL8agn